Monday, September 1, 2008

The month of August was interesting. I've known for quite some time that it was time for a job change. I enjoy the work that I do, but three years in one position was long enough. I really was looking forward to spreading my wings. So I followed some advice that I received in a development workshop and decided to not only look for a new opportunity but to do so in concert with some professional goals that involved "PIE" : Performance, Image, Exposure (more on this in upcoming post), along with other goals both personal and professional, within 100 days. This has really been an interesting adventure. One of the things that has been most surprising is that in addition to me reaching out to others, expanding my networking circle, I've actually had the opportunity to coach some others and hopefully help them in their own endeavors. In turn, I've learned a lot from them.

Taking the time to help others has helped me, which in turns helps me to help them even more. So I encourage you, to reach out and help others. Sharing lessons learned, strengthens and builds upon the skills that you already have. When you see someone who is facing the same career challenges that you've faced, it further impresses upon you how to employ the tools that have been shared with you by your mentors. So don't be fearful of helping someone else. In the long run, you'll help each other.

No comments: