Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Write Off The Page

Working as a freelance writer, I'm often asked by people exactly what I do. Well it's simple: I write for other people. I could give you a detailed list of services that I offer. However, I've found that it's often best to ask people what they need. Because sometimes writing doesn't appear to be the immediate need. I'll give you an example.


A few years ago I met a VP at a conference and she expressed concern that her teams were not delivering customer service at a level that was acceptable, much less, excellent. She was at her wits end and asked if anyone knew how to turn her employees around. Well, threats and write-ups don't have the effectiveness they once did. I knew that wasn't the answer. What she needed was to change the culture in the office.

To influence culture and change, you must communicate. That means a lot more than just telling employees what you want but communicating the how and why behind the approach. Giving them the tools and language to operate from a place of empowerment. We discussed an internal communications campaign to help turn around her organization.

When you want your team and employees to respond to their work in a different manner, communicate what you want, why it's necessary for the team, and how they can help make those changes. Sometimes a shift in perception is the catalyst to promote change!

No comments: